Dr. Carly Roman is a board certified dermatologist originally from the Midwest. She grew up in Michigan and Ohio, which is where she completed her undergraduate and medical school education. She started her westward journey by moving to Chicago and completed her internship and dermatology residency at the University of Chicago. During her training, her interests in acne and women’s health led to authoring several papers and a book chapter on the topic. Within dermatology, her interests include acne, rosacea, hair loss, psoriasis, women’s skin health, Botox and cosmetics. She recently relocated to the Pacific Northwest to join the Modern Dermatology family. In her free time, she can be found exploring the city with a focus on the culinary scene and taking advantage of the outdoors.
2005-2009 B.A., Zoology, Miami University, Oxford, OH
2009-2013 M.D., Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
2013-2014 Internship, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
2014-2017 Residency, Section of Dermatology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
LICENSING AND BOARD CERTIFICATION
2013 Temporary Illinois License
2017 Washington State Physician License
2017 American Board of Dermatology certified
- 2014-2016 Led hour-long chapter discussions and prepared power point presentations on the following topics: Melanocytic nevi and neoplasms (Oct 2014), nutritional diseases (Feb 2015), diseases of the subcutaneous fat (Feb 2015), diseases of skin appendages (May 2015), urticaria and angioedema, drug reactions and purpura (Sept 2015), lupus erythematosus, dermatomyositis, systemic sclerosis, morphea and lichen sclerosus (Dec 2015), biology of keratinocytes, ichthyoses, erythrokeratodermas and related disorders (Feb 2016), viral disease and sexually transmitted infections (May 2016), basement membrane, pemphigus and pemphigoid (Dec 2016)
- 2014-2016 Prepared clinical pathologic case presentations for Dermatology Grand Rounds (Oct 2014, May 2015, May 2016)
- 2015-2016 Moderated clinical and basic science journal club (Mar 2015, Jan 2016, July 2016, Aug 2016)
- 2016 Organized orientation week for the new dermatology residents and dermatopathology fellows
- 2016 Acted as the resident liaison for quarterly meeting with the program directors
Peer-reviewed publications in the primary literature:
- Roman CJ, Cifu AS, Stein SL. Clinical guidelines for management of acne vulgaris- reply. JAMA. 2017 Jan; 317(2):213.
- Roman CJ, Cifu AS, Stein SL. Management of acne vulgaris. JAMA. 2016 Oct; 316(13):1402-1403.
- Roman CJ, Guan X, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Xu J, Bordeaux JS. A trial online educational melanoma program aimed at the Hispanic population improves knowledge and behaviors. Dermatol Surg. 2016 May; 42(5):672-6.
- Roman C, Lugo-Somolinos A, Thomas N. Skin cancer knowledge and skin self-examinations in the Hispanic population of North Carolina: the patient’s perspective. JAMA Dermatol. 2013 Jan; 149(1):103-4.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published):
- Covington M, Roman CJ, Abdulla F. Methotrexate as a treatment for palmoplantar lichen planus. Cutis; Pub Status: Accepted Dec 2015.
- Ruiz de Luzuriaga AM, Mhlaba J, Roman CJ. Primary care of adult women: common dermatologic conditions. In: Woodruff, JN, Blanchard, AK, eds. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clincs of North America. 1st ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016.
- Roman CJ, Bangash H, Soltani K, Abdulla F. Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome. Presented at the Chicago Dermatological Society meeting. December 2016.
- Roman CJ and Shea CR. Melanoma arising in a blue nevus. Presented at the Chicago Dermatological Society meeting. December 2015.
- Roman CJ, Ruiz de Luzuriaga AM, Shea CR. Trichilemmal horn. Presented at the Chicago Dermatological Society meeting. December 2014.
- Roman C, Means A, Ruiz de Luzuriaga AM, Shea CR. A Tale for a Tail. Poster presented at: 13th Annual Resident Research Day; 2015 May, 7; Chicago, IL.
- Roman C and Bordeaux JS. A web-based approach to melanoma education aimed at the Hispanic population improves knowledge and behaviors. Poster presented at: American Academy of Dermatology 71st Annual Meeting; 2013 March 5; Miami, FL.
- Roman C, Lugo-Somolinos A, Thomas N. Skin Cancer Knowledge and Skin Self-Examinations in the Hispanic Population of North Carolina: The Patient’s Perspective. Poster presented at: Southeastern Consortium in Dermatology; 2012 Oct 27; Chapel Hill, NC.
- Roman C and Bordeaux JS. An online approach to melanoma education aimed at the Hispanic population improves knowledge and behaviors. Poster presented at: SID. 72nd Society for Investigative Dermatology Annual Meeting; 2012 May 9; Raleigh, NC.
- Roman C and Lugo-Somolinos A. Melanoma in Hispanics in North Carolina between 1998-2007. Poster presented at: Lepow Day 7th Annual Irwin H. Lepow Medical Student Research Day; 2011 Jan 12; Cleveland, OH.
Previous research experiences:
- Research Assistant in the Department of Dermatology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, Dr. Jeremy Bordeaux (2011-2013)
- Research Assistant in the Department of Dermatology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, Dr. Aida Lugo-Somolinos (2010)
HONORS, PRIZES, AND AWARDS
2007 Sigma Alpha Pi Honors and Leadership Fraternity
2009 Graduated Cum Laude, Miami University, Oxford, OH
2013 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
INVITED, ELECTED, OR APPOINTED EXTRAMURAL SERVICE
2008 Vice Present, Delta Zeta National Sorority, Oxford, OH
2009-2013 Student Interviewer for the CWRU Medical School Admissions, Cleveland, OH
2010-2011 Secretary for the Student National Medical Association, Cleveland, OH
2010-2011 University Representative for the Latino Medical Student Association, Cleveland, OH
2010-2013 Mentor for SMART Girls, Cleveland, OH
2012-2013 Volunteer at The Free Medical Clinic of Greater Cleveland, Cleveland, OH
2013-2014 Volunteer at the Chicago Dermatological Society Annual Skin Cancer Screening
2015 Member of the Graduate Medical Education Committee
2016 Member of the Core Curriculum Task Force of the American Academy of Dermatology
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
American Academy of Dermatology
Chicago Dermatological Society
Women’s Dermatologic Society